Monday, January 25, 2010

Looking under the bed

Like many others I wondered what was the point of the home secretary telling us that he had raised the terrorism threat level. What was I supposed to do about it?

At least there used to be posters about abandoned bags etc in the days when the IRA campaign was at its height

It is not the first time I have wondered about the current alarms. Back in the days when I first started tootling around on Google, keen to try all sorts of things to learn about how it worked, I once came across a mystery site which, in a idiotic way, I thought might be being used by terrorists to communicate with each other. I quickly realised that was just plain wrong, but it set me thinking: who should I have told if it were.

I asked an acquaintance – ex-Scotland Yard. He suggested our community beat officer, which did not seem quite right somehow.

Now, in the interests of being a good citizen I have taken the trouble to find out.

One of the following should fit the bill.