Saturday, January 16, 2010

Keeping up the good work

I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I spotted a job advert in The Times headed Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851.

But no, this organisation still exists to make major awards to scientists and engineers for research, development and design – it has capital assets of £60m from which to make annual disbursements of about £2m.

I wonder if there will be any comparable organisation founded this year which will still be doing such good work in 160 years time.

And I just noticed – Pooh Bah* gets two ex officio seats on the Commission – one in his capacity as President of the Council & one as Secretary of State for Business, Innovation & Skills.

*Baron Mandelson of Foy in the county of Herefordshire and Hartlepool in the county of Durham.