Thursday, February 25, 2010

The way to Ochtermurphy

One day I was walking in a wood not far from home in the Derbyshire hills. A stranger appeared & asked the way to Ochtermurphy.

Scotland, I thought. That’s north, but the sky is cloudy, no sun, not sure which direction that is now.

Perhaps it might be better to direct him towards the M6, he can travel north on that. But which direction is west?

Maybe the M1 would be a better bet – but which way is east.

Just as I began to consider other options, like the nearest railway station, another stranger appeared. He knew the way & set off purposefully. I tagged along behind.

It all turned into a bit of a dream, or a magically realistic novel. We half jumped, half flew over a small ravine, sprang over trees, tripped happily through mud without our feet getting stuck at all.

It was exhausting & when I spotted a gate into a field, I said my goodbyes, left them to it, got back to normal life.

That just about sums up what mathematics is like for me. I can, sometimes, at least, understand the question, but am unable to suggest an answer, or follow the route laid out.

And anyway, does Ochtermurphy exist?

There is a place called Auchtermuchty, perhaps that is what is getting me muddled up.

Link
Related posts