Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love in a tent

On Friday The Times published the ten winners of their competition for a poem for Valentine's Day.

I particularly enjoyed the one by Catherine Cox, which is nicely wry & funny, but still very romantic.

For some of us anyway. There must be plenty who can find nothing to inspire them in the thought of damp canvas.

There is not much in the thought of sleeping under canvas in this climate which inspires me these days either. Nor does the thought of sharing my bed space with all the greedy insect visitors I might expect in sunnier climes.

But I have so many treasured memories of family holidays & Girl Guide camps (whether of the big jamboree or just the local kind), memories which lay half buried until I read this poem, that I just came all-over in a warm glow.

You can read the whole poem & the other winners here.



from Just Intent

I don’t s’pose you meant
to propose in a tent
(it was not your intent when we started).
Yet you did it so well
on the top of Place Fell
that I was completely enchanted.
...



The limited space
made our joyful embrace
a somewhat gymnastic endeavour.
...

‘Til we both fell asleep
to the sound of the sheep
who bleated their “congratulations”.

Catherine Cox


Link