Sunday, February 27, 2011

Never too old

I was intrigued by a small item of news about ticket touts on the trains in China, not so much the fact that demand for tickets might be sufficient to make that worthwhile – there are after all even bus ticket scams in this country – but by the name of the agency which sets out to catch them: The Beijing Railway Transport Procuratorate.

Word’s spellchecker doesn’t recognise that P-word anymore than I did, but there it is in the OED:

In China: the public prosecutor's department, or the body of public prosecutors, at any of various levels of court hierarchy.

The Chinese term is jiǎncháyuàn.


On the way to finding it via Google I also discovered the Beijing Tobacco Monopoly Bureau Railway Transport Branch I wonder who they set out to catch?

Looking for Procuratorates also inspired me to see what has happened to all those British Protectorates. Goodness, I never knew there were so many, or that they are still of significance to the Home Office in the way that they relate to whether someone may, or may not, be entitled to British nationality.