Thursday, February 17, 2011

Keynes knees

Many years ago there was a man who returned to his own country claiming to have graduated from the London School of Economics. Some suspected he was embroidering his achievements but it was not easy to check from thousands of miles away.

While I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, I myself became convinced that he must be a fantasist when he referred to something called Kuh-kneesian economics; any graduate of LSE must surely know that Kane-sian (or possibly Keensian) was the correct pronunciation.

Not very many years ago a contributor to a Radio 4 programme was described as a Senior Lecturer at the LSE. I have the utmost confidence that the BBC (especially Radio 4) will always tell me the truth.

He spoke, in an American accent, of Kuh-kneesian economics.

So perhaps, after all, we owe that first man an apology.