Friday, August 08, 2008

Two plus two

One of the things which makes me shout at the radio is someone saying, usually in a tone of smug self-satisfaction: “ All I know is, two plus two make four

Well not always

As a statistician I only expect the answer 4. I could, within the limits of sampling, measurement & rounding errors, accept almost any number as the estimate of the result of adding two to two

One of the most painful periods of my professional life was when I had constantly to explain to customers that a table which we regularly produced could, quite legitimately, show that 5+5=5. Or 10. Or 15

But even in the world of counting with real, hard, integer numbers we all use daily a system in which, say, 10+4 = 2

And we also use a system in which 27+5 can give the answer 1 or 2 or 3 or 4



Related post: Making things add up