Sunday, August 31, 2008

Library ladders

If I want to reach a book from the top shelf in the library, I just stretch up my arm & take it

My friend does not do that. She may ask someone else to get it for her

There’s no point shouting at her, telling her to get it herself, stop being lazy, make the effort. She is only 5’ 1” tall

Thank heavens someone long ago invented the library steps, or more recently the brilliant, Dalek look-alike kick step

So far, so obvious

But why, when the reason is not obvious, are we so ready to assume that people are just being lazy, ignorant, slave to their own impulses, whatever, when the reason, if only we could understand it, is an equally obvious, & ultimately physical, limitation on their freedom of action, which needs a different kind of action to overcome

BMI over 25? You eat too much. Pull yourself together

Still smoking? Where is your will power?

Walk past people in the street? Who does she think she is, ignoring me like that

And on, and on

Actually, I need help with the books on the top shelf nowadays. I can no longer read what it says on the spine, so I need to get up close & personal. Thank heavens someone already invented library steps, so I can just help myself without anybody thinking it odd, or without my having to own up to my age-related decline