Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cook's matches

I use Cook’s matches for lighting the gas. So much more reliable than any electric or electronic gizmo

Actually I suppose I am quite lucky to have survived a piece of stupidity with one of those things. It was when I was about 10; the sparking mechanism did not work on the lighter which was connected to the side of the stove, so I held it to the electric fire to get a light. I can still fell the double shock – physical & intellectual – as I realised what I had done

That reminds me of another story from around the same time. A school friend’s mother had recently acquired her first washing machine. She died of electrocution when she happened to put one hand on the machine & one on the stainless steel draining board.

Her husband had got the wiring wrong, the machine was live & she had completed the circuit with wet hands

I do not think I was an overly suspicious child (or adult) but for some reason I have always had this feeling that perhaps he did it deliberately – on the basis of absolutely no evidence, or even gossip

Anyway, back to Cook’s matches.

I had always assumed that these were Matches, cook, for the use of. But I have just found out that they are simply made by a company called Cook