Saturday, April 05, 2008

By the light of the moon

Funny thing, memory. Charlotte Greens outburst of giggles on the Today programme was caused by a very old recording of Au Clair de la Lune, dating from 1867 & made with smoke & paper. Even in its crackly state it rang very faint bells with me. I decided I was mistaken, getting mixed up with Frère Jacques or La Plume de ma Tante.

Then yesterday evening, a whole week later, I was just sitting packing up my shopping in Sainsburys when I found the entire song, word perfect was running through my head. I don’t think I can have thought of it for over 50 years, when we learned mainly as pronunciation practice

Au clair de la lune
Mon ami Pierrot
Prête-moi ta plume
Pour écrire un mot
Ma chandelle est morte
Je n’ai plus de feu
Ouvre-moi ta porte

Pour l’amour de Dieu