Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Stranger danger

It was shortly after 6 on Saturday evening, coming out of Asda whence I had popped for the last item on the holiday weekend shopping list

Just ahead of me – as they had been in the check out queue – mum & a delightful, well behaved 3 year old

Mum got on to the escalator but the 3 year old’s nerve failed at the last moment

It was too soon for panic as both tried to assess the situation – child stranded, mum beginning her slow descent, just too far away to reach out a reassuring hand. But you could feel the wail beginning to rise




****

I can remember exactly the same thing happening to me at the same age

We were on an exciting shopping trip to the city – possibly my first ever. Escalators – especially down ones – were rare anyway: this one, in the city’s smartest department store, Affleck & Brown, was itself a thing of wonder & comment, & certainly the first I had ever encountered


Mummy, carrying my baby sister, stepped on. I did not know how to. I really did wail

It was a lady in a very 1940s hat who rescued me

*****
It is absolutely true – these days one hesitates before interfering in any sort of way with someone else’s child

But I could not just brush past the little girl. So I said, quietly & conversationally so as not to alarm her further: Do you want to hold my hand?

A quick reaction of surprise & assessment as she looked round to see who I was. The she just put her hand in mine

My heart did a tiny flip – such trust. And I realised what a very long time it was since I had held the hand of a small child

The next moment my heart did a bigger thump. Now I, shopping bag in the other hand, was the one who had nothing to hold on to. A doddery old lady who cannot, on a bad day, step off a curb without support

There was a brief flash visualisation of a foot planted firmly & securely on a moving step &, with only a slight backward sway we were safe

The little girl seemed happy to hold my hand until we reached the bottom but I was feeling mortified by stupidity & let her go, saying Do you want to go down to Mummy now?

After a hesitant, testing first step she realised she could do it & walked carefully but confidently the half dozen steps to mum.

In retrospect a good idea, one that will build her confidence for next time

Mum said a nice but unfussy thank you to me & that basically was that

But now I have another reason to remember to think before I stop to help a child


We used to be warned: NEVER TAKE SWEETS FROM A STRANGER

These days it is the child who is the stranger
Links