Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rules & rebellion

Yesterday I noticed that I have been deprived of 4 supermarket loyalty points

My offence?

Buying a packet of Cricket lighters for £1.16

The total bill came to £9.15; subtract £1.16 leaves £7.99. So only 14 points, (2 for each whole number of £), instead of 18

I knew that the government (for my own good. And yours too of course, when you are around me) had stopped the giving of rewards for buying cigarettes some years ago, I just had not realised that they had been so assiduous as to extend the ban to what they doubtless call smoking paraphernalia

I am assuming that that is the explanation; I cannot be bothered to check

I am not really complaining. Just pointing to another example of how politicians have spent their time devising ever tighter rules to bind the people, while ignoring the moat in their own eye