Saturday, April 25, 2009

Modern conveniences

We had another power cut in the wee small hours of Friday morning – sometime between 1 and 3 am

I am not sure if it was the change in the light or the sudden silence that woke me. There is only a very dim greyish greenish glow from the bedside clock & the winter curtains are still up so there is only a little light penetration from the streetlight outside, so not much change there. It was only after I was conscious enough to clock that the clock really was not on that I realised the utterness of the silence. Absolute stillness. No hum from anywhere

The fridge & the clock radio are the only things left plugged in over night & at that time there is no traffic moving for several miles in any direction, so it was disconcerting to realise that there is still a constant low level noise when the power is on – from the transmission itself, the street lamps, neighbours equipment …

It woke me up all over again when the power came back on. First because the clock was flashing 12:00, second because I had managed to leave the radio switched on & the default frequency was emitting some weird crackles & whines

Either way I had to get up & do something: pull the plug or reset the *!~#*^* thing



Related post
Staying in power