Friday, April 10, 2009

Hard times for an MP

I was thinking about adding a little to the debate on MP’s remuneration by suggesting a return to the 19th century custom of the testimonial – an invitation to a grateful public to subscribe for a suitable token (sometimes in cash) for public service

I was looking in The Times archive for an example, when I came across this Letter To The Editor of 1852. While it is not referring to a request for funds to celebrate a living public figure, the evidence of how hard up an MP can be shows why we might need to help them with their expenses



Being an admirer of the late Duke, I spell over every name in the subscription lists to the Wellington Testimonial Fund … but I have come to one name which has disturbed all harmony of feeling

- that of an MP who subscribed £20 who


owes me money, some £150 or £200, & at the risk of being thought a hard man, I will confess to you … I endeavoured, after all other means had failed, to obtain payment by putting an execution into the MP’s house. The execution produced exactly £2 3s 4d! The sofas which he pressed, the plate he used, the horses he rode, were all hired, & his person was of course protected; but the sheriff ingeniously contrived to seize a few books, including The Whole Duty Of Man, which the MP had overlooked in his general arrangements

Now, Sir, can you not rectify your list by inserting my name for the balance of the £20, after giving credit for £2 3s 4d, instead of the name of my gallant & “honourable” debtor, & thus oblige

Your obedient servant,
THE EXECUTION CREDITOR?


The Times Tuesday, Dec 21, 1852; pg. 8