Friday, February 20, 2009

Another power cut

We had a power cut on Wednesday morning, a bit before half past 11, so I missed part of Sarfraz Manzoor’s very interesting take on What Happened to the Working Class?

Very annoying. Odd to get one now, when we got through all the bad weather unscathed. The thought crossed my mind that perhaps some idiot had managed to cut through a cable somewhere, but no, the power definitely flickered a few times before going out

It is the first time since they built the new estate that I can remember a power cut when I have been at home in the middle of a working day, so the first time I have heard all the burglar alarms going off together. At least these days you don’t get the clamour of clanging bells – these sounded more like the twittering of startled sparrows

It also made me realise I must re-appraise the just-in-time ironing policy I have these days, since it meant I had to put on an unironed t shirt

I find it hard now to believe how much time – usually on a precious Sunday afternoon – I used to devote to ironing. Definitely something to be cut back on in the interests reducing what Raymond Biggs called one of the problems with age - the amount of time you take ‘just living’


Power was fully restored after about half an hour, 5 minutes after it had come back in pitiful brown out mode & 15 minutes before I needed to leave the house

I decided to use the time to reset all the radio presets rather than iron the t shirt


Related post