Friday, January 30, 2009

Leaking flummery

I went to take a look at the UNCORRECTED TRANSCRIPT OF ORAL EVIDENCE given to the House of COMMONS HOME AFFAIRS COMMITTEE because I saw in the newspaper a report of the following exchange:


Q59 David Davies: Finally, Home Secretary, is the Assistant Commissioner a friend of yours? I just wondered why you kept referring to him as "Bob" in some of the interviews that took place afterwards.

Jacqui Smith: He is not a friend of mine. I believe that I have a wholly professional relationship with him.

Q60 David Davies: That is why I call you Home Secretary and not Jackie.

Jacqui Smith: You have called me Jackie at various times, David, and we are certainly not friends.

Chairman: If he was a friend of yours, he probably is not any longer since you did not shortlist him for the Metropolitan Commissioner's job.



Flummery could come in useful sometimes, even for New Labour

I also learned that the civil servant involved was not a private secretary, but an administrative officer. Once upon a time they were called clerical officers & I am left wondering if the change was just another bit of flummery