Sunday, January 11, 2009

Keep your nose out of it

In all the discussion about how to encourage children to read you rarely hear that some families might actually object to their children having their nose in a book. When I was a child this was a not uncommon attitude

The people who objected were not illiterates but reading, novels especially, meant you had gone somewhere into another world where nobody knew what you were up to, even though you were in plain sight. To have your nose always in a book was not too far from witchcraft or secret rituals, & so was especially undesirable in a girl

I thought that something of the sort persisted in the country when twice I was identified as ‘The lady who always reads on the bus.’ But I found that this was mainly because an awful lot of people simply cannot do it – it makes them travel sick. Once I was consulted for tips on how to do it, but since it was something I just could naturally do, I was unable to help

I understand a bit better now though. Especially on winter evenings when the combination of aging eyesight, poor lighting & a new generation of buses whose suspension conveys the impression that the wheels are square, makes reading uncomfortable, and yes, occasionally nausea inducing

It is possible though that the notion persists, that tv, dvds and computers are preferable because you can see, share, the same thing they are seeing

She loves you better than me; You
With your nose in a book


UA Fanthorpe: Sounds & Silences