Friday, October 10, 2008

Where is America?

The listings preview of Griff Rhys Jones programme about New York made me vaguely wish I still had a tv to watch, though the only review I have seen made me think I should have been disappointed

It did remind me of my, & my daughter’s, first trip to the city. She was just two, & like me had never been on a plane before. We survived that, me doing my best to conceal my fear of flying, and enjoyed a week of sight seeing with family

There was just one problem however. My daughter kept asking me: When are we going to America?

This is America was clearly not the right answer. I suppose one built-up area looks very like another when your point of view is that much closer to the ground. Even the Coney Island carousel did not do it

Everything became OK however the evening we went to the top of the Empire State Building. Looking out at the lights, my daughter finally pointed & said: There is America