Sunday, October 05, 2008

Teenage embarrassment

Neuroscientists have reported that brain scans show teenage embarrassment to be in a class of its own

That reminded me of this poem by George Jowett, who sounds like a very nice Dad




Embarrassed by their father
My teenage daughters told me
Recently they’d far rather
I didn’t keep them company
When we go shopping in the town.
I might, it seems, let them down
In some way. Their friends might see.
Couldn’t I please cross over?

Today, wandering separately
Round the shops, we chanced to meet.
Well no, not quite. Seeing me
Coming, they quickly crossed the street,
Avoiding an encounter.
Watching them saunter
Past, heads turned pointedly
Away, I felt obsolete.

Still, that’s the way of it.
Pushed to one side we watch them pass.
Lear-like, I could rail a bit,
But what’s the point? Life’s farce
Not tragedy. Best face the fact
In this unfunny, final Act,
Exiled, as it always is,
Love watches from across the street