Thursday, October 09, 2008

Water power



Two more great photos from The Times

The first I put here for pure pleasure. The way the photographer (Sean Davey/Corbis) has captured the detail of the wave is awesome, & reminiscent of Hokusai’s tidal wave. But then the surfing frog makes me giggle with delight

The second (Alamy), visually, seems almost to make a pair. I love it in the way I love pictures which inspire awe at man’s ingenuity.

It was also used to illustrate a point about unintended consequences; allegations have been made that a company has deliberately cut the amount of electricity it generates in order to qualify for renewable energy grants. This of course is disputed, & without access to the figures it is impossible for me to have an opinion either way. But I can well believe that well intentioned regulation could lead to such a perverse result