Saturday, February 02, 2008

troubles in government

I shall not be publishing this post - at least for now - & I am wondering about my motive. If I do not want to say it in public, why not just not write it at all?





I think I want a record of this thought in case it may turn out to be interesting (to me) at some future date to check when it was that I first had it





On January 23 there was a rather low key announcement that the Prime Minister had appointed the first ever Permanent Secretary in his office - Jeremy Haywood, a seriously heavyweight civil servant. This follows closely on the appointment of Stephen Carter as strategy adviser - another who could not be said to fall into the category of party political adviser





This struck me as slightly odd but I thought no more about it until Westminster Hour on Sunday





That discussion made me realise that the disarray in Downing Street has been serious & that emergency action has been taken, almost whether Gordon Brown liked it or not


Published 1 May 2009