Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Something or nothing

Evan Davis talked to advertising man Steve Henry this week in his Radio 4 series about deception.

Anadin was mentioned. Henry maintained that they were allowed to get away with the 1950s slogan Nothing Acts Faster Than Anadin because it was, essentially, saying that all painkillers are really just the same, Anadin is no different – if the wording tended to make you think it was saying Anadin was better, that was your mistake.

The reaction of just about everybody I knew was that if nothing acts faster, then I’ll take nothing, thank you.

To this day I think it a waste of money to buy anything other than bog standard generics, though I wish I knew why chains such as Superdrug have an own brand version which is priced at nearly double an alternative branded version.