Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Monkey man reggay

The other Saturday I was making my way home through the shopping centre, just before closing time, when I was stopped in my tracks outside HMV.

They were playing our tune, which I hadn’t heard for years.

I had to go in to ask.

Oh yes, they said, it’s a compilation, on special offer, handed me a copy.

I’m afraid the name of the artist rang no bells with me at that moment; I explained that I had really been after a copy of the Byron Lee version, which I had on an unplayable LP. Nothing showed up on the computer.

On the offchance I asked after another one I should like to have – Elizabethan Reggae, spelt R-E-G-G-A-Y; still no luck. But thanks for your help.

The version which they did have was by Toots & the Maytals, & the song was Monkey Man. This had a special place in the family because of a much-loved soft toy made by my mother, originally for my sister, passed to my daughter, & which has now acquired the status of family heirloom.

When I got to check, I found that the song has frequently been covered – even by Amy Winehouse – but obviously I just don’t listen to the right kind of radio stations.

What did puzzle me is that Wikipedia lists a cover by Byron Lee, but only in 1975, & my LP must have been a good few years before that, possibly even before the 1969 version by the Maytals? And, according to Wikipedia, the group had recorded with Byron Lee in 1966.

A wet Sunday afternoon pushed me into a search for the record. It looks like a real historical curiosity now. There is no date that I can see, but there is a pretty good clue in the title - Reggay Blast Off - & the front cover illustration – a rocket blasting off with a small inset photo of a man walking on the moon - & the exhortation to “Do the moon walk to Jamaica’s latest dance beat!”

Further clues – if needed – come from the notes on the back:

Lik [sic] it back – hawk it to the very last drop – Pop a Top – Sip a Sip – These are the genuine phrases of Jamaica’s ethnic beat REGGAY. Spawned in the embryo of Rock Steady & Ska, REGGAY has now matured. Hold Me Tight & Israelite invaded the International charts with such great force that they influenced the Beatles who recorded Ob-La-Di* & Give Peace a Chance**, both REGGAY. Now BYRON LEE & the DRAGONAIRES introduce an extension of the REGGAY – the “MOON WALK”, & if you are curious, turn your record player on & get ready for – “REGGAY BLAST OFF”
Signed: Andy Capp
*1968 **1969

Record producer Lynford Anderson had adopted the name of a well-known cartoon character from the north east of England.

But my original question, about whose was the original version – definitely the Maytals, who get the credit on the label.

Further details from the notes:

Byron Lee & the Dragonaires Jamaica’s & Caribbean’s Number 1 Band
Dynn 3310 stereo

Produced by: Andy Capp & Junior Gray
Cover design: Spartacus
Recording Engineer: Dynamic Sounds Studios
Technical supervision: Byron Lee
A PRODUCTION OF DYNAMIC SOUNDS RECORDING COMPANY LTD.
15 Bell Road, Kingston 11, Jamaica

Side One
1 MONKEY MAN (Maytals)
2. POP A TOP (Andy Capp)
3. ELIZABETH REGGAY (Binge)
4. FIRE FIRE (Gaylads)
5. WHO DUNNIT (Jackie Mittoo)
6. SPACE FEVER (?Grey?)

Side Two
1. THE LAW (Andy Capp)
2. SWEET SENSATION (Melodians)
3. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT (Serge Gainsbourg)
4. BIRTH CONTROL (Lloyd Chalmers)
5. BONGO NYAH (Little Roys)
6. MOONLIGHT GROOVER (Winston Wright)