Friday, April 15, 2011

Going out without a skirt

Talking about going out less well dressed than one would wish reminded me of the day I went to work without my skirt on.

In mitigation I should point out that I was wearing a very demure full-length petticoat.

I had actually been up bright & early, with time for a sit down breakfast. But I was wearing a very nice lightweight wool suit in oatmeal cream – did not want to risk dropping anything on to the skirt, so I left it off till later.

Then as usual, I started to think of other things, half listening to the Today programme (de rigueur for civil servants after Mrs Thatcher said that she always listened to find out which of her ministers (& hence ministries) was doing a good job) & suddenly – I was going to be late.

Put on my raincoat, grabbed my handbag, & ran.

It was a very nasty shock when I took my mac off in the office.

Fortunately in those days there was still a parade of small shops directly over the road. One was an old fashioned drapers with a small dusty window revealing a display of knitted nylon tops, knickers, nylons, & polyester skirts. A kind colleague went across & bought me a permanently pleated skirt in navy blue. It felt like school uniform, but at least it covered my embarrassment.

I don’t think I ever wore it again, but hey – it cost only about £7. Much better than the alternative of sending my apologies to those at the meeting I was due to attend, to give me time to rush round to the Army & Navy for something with more class.