Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Pill

Reports that too many women are on the Pill, or the wrong sort of Pill, backed up by a personal story in The Times from a young woman who is still only 20.

How things have changed.

At the same age, as a brand new mother, I asked my GP if he could help me avoid having another straight away.

Sorry – can’t help you there. Go to Family Planning.

This was in the Swinging Sixties. But – uncomplicated pregnancy & birth meant no clinical indications for a prescription (even though I was Rh-) – plus he was an Evangelical.

But I have been so glad of that. The doctor I saw at Family Planning, a young woman who had just had her own second child, asked if I needed a 100% guarantee.

No, I said (in truth a part of me wanted to repeat the whole experience As Soon As Possible; I wanted to have babies young so I would have plenty of time later to get on with a career).

Good, she said. I don’t have to put you on The Pill.

Oh – you mean clots? (There had already been front page headlines about a young mother who had died).

No – I don’t think there’s enough evidence for that. It’s just that it interferes with you in a very fundamental way, & nobody really understands how.

The thing is, I think we still do not really understand how.

But thank you, young woman doctor. I am eternally grateful.


Links