Monday, August 03, 2009

Going mental

Does anybody talk about spending good money any more?

Earning, or making good money, yes (even if you are a banker). But I suddenly wondered if you had to be my age to understand why we didn’t spend ‘good money’, even after the Age of Austerity, even when you are not throwing it after bad

I started with my trusty Chambers because that is closest to the bed

Within minutes I had whizzed through botany, Greek & Roman mythology … to chins

Checking the difference between mint (the plant) & the mint (coining it) led to mentum, a Latin word for chin. Adjective: mental

Gives a whole new meaning to “an episode of mental illness”. I hope the doctors, psychiatrists (& dentists) are clear on this


"The second hole in the lower jaw is named the mental hole"

Bell: Anatomy. & Physiology of the Human Body1829