Thursday, July 02, 2009

Vatted things

I thought it would be instructive to keep a check for a while, to see how much VAT I actually paid

I soon gave up that idea – too much like hard work. But I have, in a desultory, unsystematic kind of way been noting some of the items from the supermarket on which I have saved money (in theory) since the Chancellor reduced the rate of VAT last December

It’s quite instructive

I hadn’t really grasped the treatment of plain sparkling, fizzy water. This usually costs the same, or a bit less than the fashionably flavoured – with natural fruit, naturally

But flavoured water is VAT free. I do not believe that the flavours can cost all that much. It seems like a con, to me

Bleach
Mens T shirt
Basic briefs
Strong mints
Vanilla ice cream
Bath lotion
Mouth rinse
Deodorant
Surgical spirit
Household matches
Cheese omelette
Pot of tea
Table water
Chocolate digestives
Moist toilet tissue
Cricket lighter
Guinness
Snickers
16oz fizzy drink
Cheese & onion sandwich
Throat lozange (sic)
Sparkling water
Food bags
Baby lotion

I also note that a "medium" ice-cold fizzy drink is actually a whole US pint

Well, that is less than a good Olde English pint, so I suppose it's fair to call it something less than large

And I did save 3p on it because of the VAT cut. Sainsburys receipt told me so