Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Weights & measures

When it comes to cooking I am one of those who still ‘thinks’ Imperial when it comes to weights. Or spoonfuls. Or American cups. When it comes to grammes & kilogrammes I have to stop & work it out. Except that I tend cheerfully to assume that 1 kg = 2 lbs & 500 grammes = 1 lb

But these days I (along with many others, I suspect) shop mostly by eye. Does that look like enough broccoli, mince, … ? 4 slices of ham please. 3 apples will do. Just a small tin of tomatoes

Even if I do cook from a recipe I am likely to use my own skill & judgement (!) as to quantities. I do not possess a pair of scales & have usually thrown away the till receipt which tells me how many grammes of mushrooms I bought

But I still remember the frustration of getting letters from my Nan, when I had requested her recipe or advice on some matter of cooking: Mix some sugar & flour, … cook it until it is done