Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Faith & foundations



I heard most of Cherie Blair’s own reading of extracts from her autobiography on Radio 4. It did come across as a more interesting & thought provoking work than was suggested by the Times extracts, so I shall read (but not buy) the book

I hesitated before adding my bit in an earlier post , but my interest in contraceptive equipment was not merely salacious. And I find her flippant explanation – We all do or we would have families in double figures. You can always go to confession - insulting

If I wanted to be really nasty, I would say that her husband delayed his conversion not because of Alistair Campbell but to spare himself the embarrassment of having to go to confession himself. Or does the Catholic church regard the use of contraceptive equipment other than condoms merely a sin of the wife?

I understand the dilemma of course

It may be easy for educated western couples to find the arguments which make them comfortable with ignoring this ruling of their Church

But this Roman Catholic doctrine affects policies on population growth, womens freedom & the spread of AIDS throughout the world

Politicians often get accused of hypocrisy on specious grounds (If he can lie to his wife he can lie to the electorate)

I find it true hypocrisy on the part of a man about to set up a Faith Foundation to promulgate the virtues of religious guidance to have acted in his own interests in this way