Monday, May 26, 2008

A safe country

For some time now I have been trying to track down a quote which I think comes from one of the Anglo-Saxon kings. I thought it was in Bede, but if it is I have developed a total blind spot for it.

The nameless king expressed an ambition to turn England into a safe country. One which a mother carrying a baby could travel on foot from end to end without being molested by marauding hordes or gangs of one sort or another

Well, I cannot even walk to the other end of the village without threat from marauding hordes hurtling around in tons of metal

All of whom seem to believe that I am a poor deluded soul who believes she has a right to be there, even on a quiet lane or side street with no pavement. I have no business getting in their way & I certainly do not have right of way

And we wonder why children are not allowed freedom these days