Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Surprise yourself. Think yourself thin

Just been reminded of one of those questions I keep meaning to find the answer to. Your brain consumes 20% of the total energy the body uses



Well obviously that is an average. What is the variance? What distribution does it have - between different people or in the same person over time?



I know that on some of my most exhausting days I have done nothing more physically energetic than sit at my desk



There can also be a kind of endorphin high from intellectual exercise - finally solving a knotty problem, getting that paper written, that statistical analysis completed. Not unlike, I assume, the kind people say they get from jogging or the gym



Is there a negative correlation between IQ & BMI? If so, is the causal link


  • High IQ → sensible eating → low BMI, or

  • High IQ → high energy expended in brain exercise → low BMI