Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rubbish

It was by pure chance that I heard last night an 'urgent announcement' on local radio that we are to have another change in the rules about how we sort our waste – after 28 October cardboard must no longer be put with food waste & garden clippings because of ‘changes to organic waste regulations.’ I find from the web that this was announced by press release on Monday. Explanatory leaflets for householders will follow (the online version has already changed).

Thanks for the notice! At least our green bin collection is this week so I am not faced with the prospect having to fish out the cardboard - if I were the reaction would just be to say sort it yourself.

A neighbour spent a chunk of Saturday morning tearing & flattening the packaging from a new set of bedroom furniture so that it would go into the bin but I fear not enough people will find out in time to prevent several loads of waste having to be diverted to landfill in the next few weeks.

I haven’t been able to find any trace of these new regulations – the Environment Agency website still says that ‘Biodegradable wastes include food wastes, garden wastes and cardboards’.

I wonder in what sense the word organic is being used here, but I note that the earliest meaning recorded in the OED is ‘Designating the jugular vein. Obs. rare.’

Much more of this & I shall be going for somebody’s jugular