Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Crossword economy

I sometimes find myself wishing that the Times would follow the Guardian’s lead & give nom de guerres to its cryptic crossword setters.

Most recently this has been because there is one setter whose way of thinking is so alien to my own that I often fail to understand the clue even when given the solution; what is worse, if ever I do work out an answer for myself it is accompanied by a curled lip & a loud harrumph – Call that a clue? The mere sight of his name would make sure I keep my blood pressure down by making no attempt to follow his twisted logical allusions.

But now I want to invite three cheers for whoever set crossword #24,727 (I am a bit behind because of Christmas).

There was only one clue which grated, many made me smile.

My favourite?

Probably Firm has thrown money around, not practising this? (7)