Wednesday, December 30, 2009

You can’t take a goldfish for a walk

The title of this piece sounds like a gnomic utterance from a sage, or a surreal battle slogan.

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

In fact it comes from the first pop song which I probably considered as my own – How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?

It was also the first piece of sheet music I bought after I got my piano (inherited from a great aunt).

This was going to be a simple memory piece but things got murky when I started looking for links to details on the web.

I remember the bright red cover to the music & I was perfectly certain that the singer pictured was Rosemary Clooney, so it was disconcerting to read that the Number One Hit in 1953 was achieved by Patti Page, but that Lita Roza scored the hit in Britain.

Rosemary Clooney did also record it however – don’t know when, but since she is the aunt of the gorgeous George, I prefer to believe that hers is the version I remember.

The memories came flooding back when I heard it as Bertie Ahern’s inheritance track on Saturday morning.