Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Blocked, stopped, or covered with snow

The wellies went to town again yesterday, feeling quite confident that nobody notices – it’s just pure self centred self consciousness that makes one imagine everyone is looking, pointing a finger.

But – someone (Chinese, I think) actually came up & said they were exactly what she needed for this weather – where could she buy some?

I was nonplussed. Where does one buy wellies in town? I could only suggest the camping shop.

My (proper) green ones were bought at the shooting & fishing shop in the village – one of my first, I assumed necessary, purchases when I moved here.

Odd how it is only when we have global warming to worry about that the lanes are calf deep in snow once again, side roads impassable, delivery vans parked all along the main road because the drivers do not want to risk trying to get down, then back up again, or vice versa, on any of the side roads, people walking or taking to public transport because they prefer to leave the driving to a professional or because they simply cannot get the car out of the steep driveway.