Friday, October 30, 2009

The death of Phil Archer

Norman Painting gave me my first experience of the incredible power of pictures on the wireless.
Radio Times carried a photo of Phil Archer, before I was even 10 years old.

But he doesn’t look anything like that, I reacted in shock.

At least I was well prepared for the possible disappointment of meeting Dan, Doris, Christine & Uncle Tom Forrest when they came to our Methodist church one Sunday evening when I was about 10. They sat in the pews with the rest of the choir & joined in with what was basically an ordinary service. Doris, with a strong, clear & surprisingly powerful voice, & Uncle Tom both sang solos. Afterwards I collected their autographs in my autograph album, a double helping as each signed both their real name & that of their character.

Doris looked just as I expected!