Monday, June 29, 2009

Immaculate labour

There was an item about premature labour on Womans Hour last week


One of the consultants made the point that we are still worryingly ignorant about the fundamentals – there is no way of telling when labour is imminent, even in ‘normal’ cases

That brought back memories …


I left my normal weekly appointment at the hospital antenatal clinic distracted by the thought that my first baby was due 2 days before my next appointment

On the bus home I suddenly realised that I had forgotten the normal last step at the clinic – to fix the time of the next appointment. Just in case it were needed I had to go all the way back to rectify the omission

As things transpired I did need it. But I took the opportunity to ask if they were now in a position to give a more precise EDD

Oh no! You can never tell

Which seemed to me to give the lie to all that overheated political talk of a scientific revolution if we didn’t even understand the basics


Sleeplessness was the first sign that labour had begun. Although I am definitely an owl I usually had no problem drifting off after BBC radio closed down at 2 am after 2 hours of soothing MOR music in which Sinatra figured prominently

Restlessness took hold, soon turning into a real sense of urgency

The bathroom in our slightly dingy flat was not right for a new baby – the grouting was a disgrace

What was needed was a pail of hot water mixed with copious amounts of bleach & a good scrub with a retired toothbrush

It was only the thought of the neighbour’s reaction to the disturbance which stopped me from going ahead

Somehow I found other distractions until I felt the first thing that could be called a pain at nearly 7am


Another memory sent me to my commonplace book for 1990, to an article by David Jones, Daedalus of The Guardian:

“Many mothers will recall a strange, compulsive tidying-up urge that came over them shortly before they went into labour”

Daedalus speculates that this indicates the existence of a hormone IMMACULONE, one of the skein which governs the processes of pregnancy & triggers the urge to clean & tidy

He further speculates that, if identified, it could be used in both sexes to trigger a desire for order & tidiness – useful for teenage boys with messy bedrooms or scientists drowning in a sea of messy data

But, as is only too apparent, its greatest use would be as an easily monitored & reliable predictor of the onset of labour