Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Margarine

When I was a child compulsory education ended at 15

One consequence of this was that, if you passed the 11+, the offer of a place at grammar school was conditional on your parents signing an agreement that you would stay at school until your 16th birthday

Two girls in my class – farmers daughters from outlying villages – got engaged at 15. They both left, mid-term, on their 16th birthday. Their last few months at school were preoccupied with plans for their life ahead, how to be good wives, etc

They had both been given, by whom I know not, a small pamphlet which gave advice on married life which included family planning

One fact spread like wildfire through the school: the value of margarine as a (spermicide) contraceptive

Which merely reinforced my vow, made after a Choir Outing to Port Sunlight, that I would never, of my own choice, eat margarine again

Butter is best. It’s natural