Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Daft dress codes

Every group has its dress codes. Only in retrospect do your own look strange

Two stories from the 1960s

The Rolling Stones went to a posh Chelsea restaurant for dinner. They were turned away on the grounds that no gentleman could be admitted unless wearing a tie

The group left quietly, but returned a short time later. Each wearing a tie

But nothing else


At the end of the decade a famous tv star went to a function at a swanky New York hotel. Wearing one of the newly fashionable tunic/wide legged trouser ensembles

Told that ladies in trousers could not be admitted she simply removed them, on the spot. The tunic was longer than the still fashionable but ever so slightly passé mini dress


Another, more personal, story

I had to go to a student-y meeting one Saturday morning at the National Liberal Club off Whitehall. A friend from college accompanied me because we were to go on to something else in the afternoon

We entered the marble hall & went to the porters desk for directions. Which he gave to me, very courteously. But then he said to my friend I am very sorry, sir, but I cannot allow you admission

My heart felt as if it had literally dropped into my boots via the express lift

My friend was West Indian. At that time there were no anti-discrimination laws. Fleet Street had a pretty universal No Colour Bar in England line, but that did not obviate the need for us to do things like picket the Whisky-a-go-go. This Soho club had been proved (to our satisfaction) to be operating a colour bar

But this was the Liberal club. My England. He couldnt. Could he?

If he could, then not just my heart but the bottom had dropped out of my world

Then he produced a cardboard box from under his desk. If you would care to make a selection, sir, then I will be able to admit you

Once my friend had donned the chosen tie, we were in

He was still wearing it when we left