Saturday, December 22, 2007

Crime & government

When I was very young - only 22 or 23 - I found myself in a meeting with some very senior & respectable men indeed who were discussing ways to commit a crime

I was honestly shocked at first. By the fact that they should be discussing it at all, & also by the fertility of their imaginations in thinking up more & more ingenious methods

But they were discussing ways to prevent fraud in the collection of road tolls, so of course it was vital to consider all the possibilities

The other invaluable lesson I learned that day was in their conclusion: there is very little you can reasonably do if there is collusion between those who collect & those who are supposed to pay the toll

To minimise that kind of risk you need to rely on, or engender, a belief that such things are just not done in a fair & civilised society