Friday, September 14, 2007

Even now we are old

Until quite recently I think I could, if pushed have recited virtually the whole of AA Milne, especially When We Were Very Young. James, James was probably my favourite, which I remember loving as a small child for its word play & rumty-tum rhythm

I got a shock when I read it to my own daughter for the first time. What an awful thing to tell a child - Mummy disappearing like that! But she seemed unconcerned, just as I had been at her age

I think its because it catches that delicious small-child imperious self-importance. Dont go out without consulting ME. Plus its just the kind of thing they like to make up when they first start telling their own stories: And then a great Big Bear came & ATE THEM ALL UP!

James James
Morrison Morrison
Weatherby George Dupree
Took great
Care of his Mother,
Though he was only three.
James James
Said to his Mother,
"Mother," he said, said he;
"You must never go downto the end of the town, if you don't go down with me."


King John
Put up a notice,
"LOST or STOLEN or STRAYED!
JAMES JAMES MORRISON'S MOTHER
SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MISLAID.
LAST SEEN
WANDERING VAGUELY:
QUITE OF HER OWN ACCORD,
SHE TRIED TO GET DOWNTO THE END OF THE TOWN -
FORTY SHILLINGS REWARD!"


James James Morrison's mother
Hasn't been heard of since.
King John said he was sorry,
So did the Queen and Prince.


(Now then, very softly)

J.J.M.M.W.G.Du P.
Took great c/0 his M*****
Though he was only 3.
J.J. said to his M*****
"M*****," he said, said he:
"You-must-never-go-down-to-the-end-of-the-town-if-you-don't-go-down-with-ME!"