Monday, September 10, 2007

Could you explain that again please?

I do agree with one thing Richard Dawkins has said. Though I would put in a claim for having been saying it myself at least since the mid-1960s, his is the more elegant formulation as the Law of the Conservation of Difficulty: Obscurantism in an academic subject expands to fill the vacuum of its intrinsic simplicity

I was reminded of this by the following: She argued that "opening the black box" that the topic of responsibility has largely been in reflection about justice, reveals unsuspected problems for the luck-neutralisation understanding of the basis for egalitarianism

Which just confirms my own conviction that in this country at least academic philosophy long ago disappeared up its own fundament.

This comes, not from a collection of academic papers, but from an obituary in The Times. I am surprised that the editors should approve of the quote marks, the double use of 'that', never mind jargon such as luck-neutralisation