Friday, September 07, 2007

Dutiful daughter

Another of my nominated favourite books is Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter by Simone de Beauvoir. A must-read for the title alone, I thought. I first read it (in English) when I was about 25, married, a mother, soon to be divorced (a bold step in those days). The following passage seemed suitably angst-ridden at that time

A writer ought to feel he was damned; any kind of success was suspect, & I used to wonder if the very fact of writing something didnt imply failure: only the silence of Valerys M Teste seemed to me to express with dignity humanitys absolute despair



I started a vast novel; the heroine was to live through all my own experiences: she was to be awakened to the meaning of 'the true life', enter into conflict with her environment, then be disillusioned by everything: action, love, knowledge



I didnt even want to write anymore; the horrible vanity of all things had me by the throat again; but I had had enough of suffering & weeping in the past year; I built a new hope for myself



In momets of perfect detachment when the universe seems to be reduced to a set of illusions & in which my own ego was abolished, something took their place; something indestructible, eternal; it seemed to me that my indifference was a negative manifestation of a presence which it was perhaps not impossible to get in touch with