Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Nina Simone

Such a rewarding voice to listen to. Phrasing in the Sinatra class. With rhythm

I played Balm in Gilead over & over when I was having surgery & all those hospital visits. Over 20 years ago now

Baltimore also has a special place in my heart. But really, anything will do

She reminded me a bit of Mrs Gandhi, with those hooded eyes, basilisk stare & stillness. Totally self contained. Seemingly

I was twice present at official functions where Mrs G was guest of honour. Clearly not enjoying herself. I wasnt anywhere near her, nor, thank heavens, required to speak. Scary lady

I treasure the memory of an interview Nina Simone gave to Richard & Judy on their old morning show. She gave absolutely NOTHING, leaving the two of them flustered & flummoxed, casting frantic glances at each other