Friday, June 01, 2007

Living relatives

When I was born I had:

2 parents - not as obvious as it sounds. WWII was not over & my father was in Burma

3 grandparents - my paternal grandfather died from wounds received in WWI when my father was 7 years old

6 great grandparents (one a step). I never heard any stories about the 2 Irish ones, but I believe they were dead

1 great-great-grandmother - b1867, d1970

Numerous great aunts & uncles. The 3 sets of great grandparents had respectively 11,10 & 8 children. There were also at least 4 on the Irish side

But only 3 uncles - no aunts who were blood relatives. A 4th uncle - my mothers beloved brother who was only 1 year younger than she, died, aged 19, in the North Atlantic

My 3 uncles all (eventually) emigrated, to New Zealand, South Africa, Canada

I have 5 first cousins - 2 South Africans & 3 New Zealanders

My daughters father is from the West Indies. My 2 grandsons father is 3rd generation Japanese American

A microcosm of C19 & C20 demography