Tuesday, March 06, 2012

The price of sin

Last Friday a 500ml bottle of Guinness cost £1.99. The week before it had been £1.69 in the same supermarket. That’s a price rise of almost 18%.

Back in November I thought I had detected a drop in the size of a Snickers bar, at least those sold in 5-bar multipacks. I suspected a disguised price increase.

My suspicions were unfounded – comparison of the weight (& contents & nutrition information) given on the back of the pack were exactly the same as one from a wrapper from a year earlier which happened to be lying around the house.

Last Friday I thought the pack looked a bit smaller as I lifted it off the supermarket shelf, but when I turned it over to check the weight, it was still the same.

It wasn’t until I was extracting a bar from the multipack yesterday morning that I realised that it actually now contains only 4.

That’s a 25% price rise.

We are back to 1975.

Never mind the wages, it's the price of sin which is killing me.