Thursday, December 08, 2011

Water

After a long planning battle, Nestle is investing £35 million in a new bottling plant for Buxton water which will more than double the current capacity of 330 million bottles a year.

Increased demand has seen sales rise nearly 10% since 2007.

New technology will mean lighter bottles which use 25% less plastic.

There will be no significant increase in the number of jobs (currently 100). There will however be 300 new Nestle jobs in the south of the county, making posh coffee.

UK consumers drank over 2 billion litres of bottled water in 2010 – this is expected to rise to 2.3 billion by 2015 as mothers are expected to opt for water rather than sugary drinks for their children.

Nestle also owns Perrier, San Pellegrino & Vittel.

Buxton water is produced from 5,000 year old rainfall that has been forced up through 1,500 metres of bedrock before emerging at St Ann’s spring. It is possible to take your own bottles & fill them up for free at the Well in the centre of town – though you may have to join a long queue.

The taste of the bottled variety always puzzles me; I drank water from the well only once I think, when I was very young. It tasted sulphurous, but the grown ups said that meant it was doing you good.

There was also a petrifying well at Matlock so I think I was afraid I might be turned to stone if I ever drank well water again.

I liked the well dressing though