Saturday, December 24, 2011

Moving joke



Werner Heisenberg was out, driving his car. He was stopped by the police.

Do you know how fast you were going, sir?’ asked the officer.

No. But I do know where I am.’

Answer too clever by half , but I hadn't realised what a clever question that is - until it happened (once & only once) to me.

In the days when such a thing was still possible I was enjoying a carefree drive down Maida Vale, the section with long curves, & tall trees to the right, just coming up to the turn for Lords cricket ground.

A Panda car overtook, signalled left. I assumed he (all police drivers were male in those days) was going to turn.

He was signalling me to stop - which I, fortunately, managed to do without crashing into him.

He addressed the Heisenberg question to the chastened young lady I had turned into.

Answer 'Yes' & you admit to speeding.

Answer 'No' & you admit to driving without due care & attention.

That the Heisenberg answer would not have occurred to me is not significant - I would not have dared to use it.

I decided it was preferable to admit to knowing what I was doing.

And the policeman let me off with a warning not to do it again.