Monday, August 29, 2011

Rain on the parade


I find I am hoping that it will be raining in Notting Hill soon after four o’clock this afternoon, if not before.

The August Bank Holiday weather has historically been kind in London – rain has rarely dampened the spirits at carnival.

One exception was 1986, which I remember not just for the rain but because I was having to travel late in the afternoon to Manchester ready to begin work there in the morning.

To be honest I was not by that time a great fan of Carnival – I still think it ought to be mainly steel bands & calypso, not massive sound systems, a bit like preferring old fashioned church services really, so I wasn’t too put out just staying at home. We didn’t live right on the Carnival route, but close enough.

It was after 4pm, already pretty dark, & I was doing a spot of ironing when there came a knock on the window.

A young police constable asked me if I would kindly take pity on the two damsels in distress he had with him & let them use the bathroom.

The taxi arrived soon after to take me to the station – no point relying on public transport on that day of all days.

I stepped off the train at Manchester Piccadilly – into a totally different world.

The station had not then undergone its facelift, seemed to have had little done to bring it out of the Victorian age, dim lights, dispiriting. And pretty much deserted apart from the small number of passengers alighting.

But not at all quiet – the silence was broken by the sound of barking, braying dogs. The passengers all departed as quickly as possible, leaving the station to police officers & their Alsatians.

Obviously there was a football match going on somewhere, though whether it was all over & the police were there just in case of straggling fans, or whether fans, jubilant or angry & disappointed, were expected any moment, I did not wait to find out, & made my way to the hotel.

It seemed like a scene from one of those achingly fashionable films about urban dystopia.

Thankfully Piccadilly station is now a pleasant, warm, welcoming space even late in the evening.