Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Bean sprouts

On the day we were told that it was the bean sprouts what done it, I heard Hugh Pennington on the radio telling us that bean sprouts are still safe to eat when thoroughly cooked, say in a stir fry.

I don’t do stir frys & I don’t eat raw bean sprouts – at least not at home - but there is one dish I like when feeling lazy & my appetite is not that good.

Just cook a whole bag of bean sprouts in a pan with a well fitting lid, having added some light soy sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice & oil (& perhaps a small piece of dried red chilli). Done in minutes.

Can be eaten with various other things you have to hand if you need more calories. Buttered cream crackers; broccoli; crumbly white cheese; ham.

I once ate it with some grapes – their cool sweetness went very well with the salty bite.


Related post
Organic cucumbers